Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods Provides Industry Leadership as FDA Works to Define Gluten Free Manufacturing and Packaging StandardsPortland, Ore.
– September 1, 2005 – Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods, the nation's largest manufacturer of unrefined whole grain products, was invited to provide industry perspective and feedback at a recent Food and Drug Administration (FDA) meeting regarding gluten free standards. The FDA, striving to meet the mandates of the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004, is seeking to define and create standards for the use of the term "gluten free" on food labeling.
Bob's Red Mill, which manufacturers more than 50 gluten free products, was the only whole grain manufacturer invited to speak to the FDA panel on August 19th about its manufacturing, testing and product labeling practices. Due to the company's high manufacturing standards, extensive gluten free product catalogue and long-standing history as a top manufacturer of gluten free foods, it was recognized by the FDA as ideally positioned to speak to the inherent challenges and necessary standards of the gluten free manufacturing niche.
During the meeting, representatives from Bob’s Red Mill outlined their commitment to the gluten free category by summarizing the steps they have taken to meet the needs of gluten free consumers, including:
ABOUT THE GLUTEN FREE FOODS
- Partnering with experts such as research scientists and celiac community spokespeople in gluten free product development and to create "best practices" to guide the manufacturing of those products
- Creating dedicated milling and packaging rooms for gluten free product production
- Implementing the most rigorous testing protocol available (the Codex Alimentarius standard – the international gluten free food standard – and ELISA Gluten Assay batch testing)
- Performing batch testing before processing, after processing and after packaging
- Designing an easy-to-recognize gluten free packaging logo to identify such foods "We’ve been committed to developing gluten free foods and manufacturing them with the highest standards of safety and quality for more than ten years,” said Dennis Gilliam, Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Bob’s Red Mill. “We’re pleased to see the FDA focus on creating a manufacturing standard that guides the use of the term ‘gluten free’ and will eventually make gluten free shopping an easier task.”
People suffering from celiac disease, wheat allergies and wheat intolerances depend on gluten free foods to maintain their quality of life. Gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye and barley andtheir derivatives, causes celiac disease sufferers to experience changes in their small intestine and often a loss of their ability to absorb crucial nutrients. Gluten sensitivity is one of the fastest growing dietary concerns in America today. According to The University of Maryland School of Medicine Center for Celiac Research, one in 133 people is considered to be gluten intolerant and more than 1.5 million Americans are estimated to suffer from celiac disease.
ABOUT BOB’S RED MILL
Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods, a distinctive stone grinding miller of whole grains, was founded in
1978 with the mission of moving people back to the basics with healthy whole grains, high-fiber
and complex carbohydrates. The company offers a diverse line of all natural, organic and glutenfree flours, cereals, meals and mixes for pancakes, breads and soups, with more than 400 products available throughout the U.S. and Canada.